Biodegradable Glitter all questions answered
IS BIO-GLITTER® CERTIFIED BIODEGRADABLE?
WHAT CONDITIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR BIODEGRADATION TO OCCUR? Heat, water and oxygen are required for effective biodegradation by microorganisms. Bio-glitter® is metabolised by micro-organisms which transforms it into carbon dioxide, water and biomass.
IS BIO-GLITTER® COMPOSTABLE AS WELL AS BIODEGRADABLE?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR BIO-GLITTER® TO BREAK DOWN?
DOES BIO-GLITTER® DISSOLVE IN WATER?
Dissolving is entirely different to biodegrading.Something that dissolves does not go away; that object is just no longer visible. For example, salt dissolved in seawater. The salt is still there in the water, yet the salt granules are unobservable. You may have noticed this when ocean water dries on your skin, and the salt then becomes visible on your skin.
WILL BIO-GLITTER® DISSOLVE IN SEAWATER?
Yes, the biodegradable film used in Cosmetic Bio-glitter® biodegrades in seawater in accordance with the standard ASTM D7081-05.
WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE OF BIO-GLITTER®?
Bio-glitter® is very stable and will not biodegrade until it’s put into environments where microorganisms are present. Bio-glitter® is supplied in dry form and has an indefinite shelf life if stored in a dry, cool environment, out of direct sunlight, away from direct heat sources and not exposed to microorganisms
HAS ANIMAL TESTING BEEN USED IN THE
DEVELOPMENT OR PRODUCTION OF BIO-GLITTER®?
No, nor are any third parties contracted to undertake any animal testing.
DOES BIO-GLITTER® CONTAIN GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS (GMO)?
No ‘genetically modified materials’ are used in the production process, and
based on information from our Suppliers none of the materials used to
formulate Cosmetic Bio-glitter® are obtained from GMO’s.
CAN BIO-GLITTER® BE RECYCLED WITH PAPER OR
It can be successfully recycled with carton-board but not currently
recommended for mechanical recycling with paper.
DOES BIO-GLITTER® CONTAIN NANOPARTICLES?
No, not even in the Black Bio-glitter®. The D&C Black 2 pigment
we use has been carefully selected and is in non-nano form.
IS BIO-GLITTER® HOLOGRAPHIC?
No. The film needed to make glitter holographic will not
biodegrade in a natural environment.
IS BIO-GLITTER® IRIDESCENT?
Yes Bio-glitter® pure has a soft focus iridescent.
DOES BIO-GLITTER® COME IN DIFFERENT SHAPES?
Any glitter claiming to be Bio-glitter® that is any other shape than hexagonal is FALSE.
BIO-GLITTER® AND COMMON ALLERGIES..........
None of Bio-glitter® raw materials knowingly contain any common
allergens, and manufacturing equipment is not used to produce any other
products that contain allergens.
Biodegradablility and certification what does it all mean?
TÜV, Austria, ‘OK biodegradable WATER’ Certification
Products certified for OK biodegradable WATER are GUARANTEED by TÜV to biodegrade in natural, freshwater environments and thus substantially contribute to the reduction of waste in rivers, lakes or any natural freshwater.
This is the highest level of independent certification for fresh water biodegradability in the world.
Criteria required to be satisfied to be awarded OK biodegradable WATER certification status:-
- Passes Fresh Water Biodegradability testing
- Tested to ISO14851 and ISO14852 Fresh Water Biodegradability testing standard
- Achieves >90% biodegradability vs control (microcrystalline cellulose) in <56 days
- Triplicate testing to certification testing protocol
- Meets the biodegradability requirements of EN14987
- Tested conducted by an ISO17025 approved laboratory
- TÜV verification of testing standard, testing protocol, test data and approved test lab status
- Passes Aquatic Ecotoxicity Analysis
- TÜV verification of product data, source of data and that data meet ecotoxicity requirements
- TÜV, 3rd party, independent and trusted certification body.
- Certification & serial coded logo unique to the company owning the certification and products its related to
- certification can be easily verified to determine: if genuine, if current, the ownership and which product/s are certified
HOW TO CHECK IF A TUV CERT / LOGO IS GENUINE
- TÜV issue serial numbered logos to certification owners. The serial number is unique to the certification owner.
Either the Logo Serial number or an individual certificate number can be entered into the TÜV certification check web page on their website.
- Entering the Logo serial number show all the certifications an organisation owns.
- The Glitter Tribe's Bio Glitter unique TUV logo serial number is S0933
National Geographic name Bioglitter™ as one of their 4 favourite Innovations
We are proud to learn that Bioglitter™ has been recognised by the iconic publication National Geographic, as one of their four favourite innovation in January 2020’s magazine publication.